“Happiness is a by product of healthy practices, actions, and relationships. “
- Stanford University School of Medicine trained and certified to teach the Compassion Cultivation Training (CCT) developed at the Center for Compassion and Altruism in Research and Education (CCARE).
- Credentialed as an Associate Certified Coach (ACC) by the International Coach Federation (ICF). The ICF is the world’s most respected and largest professional organization for coaches. The ICF certifies coach training programs as well as coaches.
- Certificated by the Core Strengths Coaching Program at San Francisco State University. The one-year program is based on the principals of Positive Psychology.
- Completed the Coaches Training Institute (CTI) program. CTI is in twenty-two countries and is generally respected as one of the best coach training programs in the world. Have ongoing individual training with senior level professional coaches.
- Professional Training in Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Mind-Body Medicine, taught by Jon Kabat-Zinn, Ph.D.; founder of the Center for Mindfulness, University of Massachusetts, School of Medicine.
- Professional Teacher Training Practicum in MBSR; plus other courses taught by Robert Stahl, Ph.D. at El Camino Hospital. MBSR is now taught in hundreds of hospitals and other organizations.
- Broad range of science-based trainings, classes, seminars, workshops, and retreats over the course of forty years at Stanford, University of California, etc. The study of Positive Psychology, emotional and social intelligence, forgiveness, values clarification, gratitude, healing and transformation, relationship skills, and other personal growth practices is ongoing. The cumulative value of these experiences has enabled substantial, and positive changes in my personal well-being and relationships.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Behavioral Sciences California State University at San Jose. Completed all course work for a M.S. in Cybernetic Systems.
- Forty-five years of an always-evolving (and sometimes dormant) meditation practice. Current daily practice includes a twenty-five minute meditation, gratitude or journal writing, self care and relationship practices during the day, and some reading from a wide range of wisdom literature.
- Many trust based small group experiences including a seven-year participation in a small men’s group.
- Disheveled and damaging childhood.
- Beneficiary of many acts of compassion and kindness that made personal transformation possible.
- Made step-by-step choices over time to end a cycle of familial dysfunction and create a meaningful, fulfilling, healthy, connected, and enjoyable life.
- Have learned how to live an authentically meaningful and basically happy life. As the person I am, living the life I am able to live, today.
- Have learned how to more clearly recognize and appropriately respond to reality.
- Have learned some valuable skills concerning Self Care.
- Am willing and able to coach others in developing these useful skills.
- Good listener.
- Willing and able to speak my truth.
- Happily married for thirty-five years. Grateful dad of two wonderful and thriving young adults. Have resided in Mountain View on the same street for thirty-nine years as part of a remarkably close neighborhood community.
- Was solely responsible for care of a geriatric grandmother for seven years; and was surprised to realize it had become one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.
- Former member Board of Directors at the Adult and Child Guidance Center, Group Counselor in Santa Clara County Juvenile Probation Dept., and coach of children’s sports teams.
- Initiated a successful federal class action suit against a national company after being fired for refusing to use covert numeric codes to identify the race of persons applying for credit.
- Have made some substantial errors in judgment; and learned from the experiences.
- Have done some things right; and learned from those experiences as well.
- Have had a transformative Recovery experience. I am forthright about my experience for the benefit of myself and others.
- Real estate investor and broker.Acquired, renovated, retained, and then re-sold over one hundred properties in Silicon Valley; starting with no money or business education.Financed the enterprise by completing a successful syndication with a small group of private investors.
- Made a lot of money.
- Retired at the age of thirty-eight.
- Took my new bride on a one-year honeymoon around the world.
- Benefited from a broader view of what it means to be a human being alive in this world at this time.
- Founded Cybernetic Electronic Commerce LLC, a software development enterprise focused on producing a cost effective electronic commerce solution for specific industries.
- Lost a lot of money.
- Benefited from a spectacular "failure".
- Went back to work.
- Made some money.
- Realized that business was not meeting my need for meaning, purpose, and fulfillment.
2011 to present
- Created my Last Great Run in Life as a coach and teacher of compassion skills.
- I love sharing science-based methods that enable a person to grow their natural abilities to be compassionate and kind to themselves and others.
- It is deeply fulfilling to see individuals gaining clarity, skills, and perspective to create transformative positive change in the quality of their lives. Even when the circumstances of life are difficult.